As an avid reader, you have the power to impact the success of an author’s book greatly. While authors work tirelessly to craft amazing stories and promote their work, they can’t do it alone. Readers play a critical role in getting the word out about great books they love. Here are some easy ways you can help promote an author’s work:
- Leave reviews: One of the most important things you can do is leave reviews on sites like Amazon and Goodreads. Reviews help books gain visibility and credibility. Be sure to leave detailed, honest feedback about what you enjoyed most about the book to help persuade others to read it.
- Recommend books to friends: Word-of-mouth recommendations are extremely effective. Let your friends know on social media when you find a new book you love. Share your favorite quotes or passages to showcase why they should read it too. Even a simple Facebook post can go a long way.
- Give print books as gifts: Know someone who would enjoy a certain book? There’s no better promotional tool than gifting it to them on their birthday or holiday. Pair it with a heartfelt note explaining why you think they’ll love it.
- Request books at libraries and bookstores: Ask your local librarians and booksellers to carry copies of the book so others can discover it. Most are happy to do so if there is enough interest.
- Share on social media: Follow authors on social networks like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Like, share, and comment on their posts about their books. Tagging and recommending their books on these platforms spreads the word to your followers.
- Join mailing lists: Sign up for authors’ mailing lists so you’ll be notified of new releases, events, freebies, and other updates that you can share. They often have preorder giveaways you can enter too.
Supporting the authors you love doesn’t cost much time or money, but it makes a huge difference in their success. So next time you finish an amazing book, take a few minutes to leave a review or tell others about it. Your efforts can truly help talented authors find more readers.